Friday, December 22, 2006

HA (and other not-for-profit) boards as a reputational risk

A couple of recent news stories have made me think about housing associations, governance and reputation.

This week, the Housing Corporation released a summary report on the problems involving senior managers and board members at ARHAG Housing Association. Earlier this month, a former board member of Highland Housing Association was placed on the sex offender register.

While it is doubtful that references would have helped in either case, I do think that housing associations have to ensure that they do check out people the bona fides of people keen to join their boards.

Do housing associations (and other not-for-profits) always take up references? I don't think mine were taken up when I joined a HA board. (In fact I've just been reminded that I was never asked to give them!)

No comments: